About- Macular degeneration also called age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a common eye disorder that causes central vision loss.
Dry macular degeneration: This develops gradually
Wet macular degeneration - It occurs when new blood vessels develop under the macula, which can cause blood and fluid to leak.
- Blurred vision
- Central vision loss
- Decreased intensity or brightness of colors
- Difficulty adapting to low light levels
- Difficulty recognizing faces
- Need for brighter light for a close work
- Visual distortions of straight lines
The exact reason is not clearly understood. It may be related to a combination of heredity and environmental factors.
- A family history of macular degeneration
- A diet with high unsaturated fats and carbohydrates
- Cardiovascular disease
- Lack of exercise
- Older age